• Introduce and define operations management (OM) in terms of its contribution to an organization and the activities it involves.
• Describe how operations management contributes to the overall betterment of society.
• Present operations management as a function that addresses issues in both manufacturing and services.
• Show how operations management is gaining more recognition both internally and externally to an organization.
• Demonstrate how the operations management function interact with the other functional areas within an organization.
• Present a brief history of operations management as a field and evolution to its current role in an organization